Friday

Sag Harbor by Colson Whitehead - Mini Book Review

I’ve written this review from 42 angles and deleted each one. Reading Sag Harbor was laborious for me. To top it off, I watched an interview with the author and found him to be really great. I hate that. I don’t want to talk crap about his book. Those of you interested in a different slant on the standard coming of age tale might finish this one. I couldn’t.

And that always makes me feel so narrow-minded, not being able to appreciate a story. If we read to escape our known world, to learn about peoples and places different from our own, then shouldn’t this poor old, white woman be able to enjoy a witty tale of a rich, black boy? I kept trying, but the sarcastic tone and jumbled scenes were too much for me.

Sag Harbor is certainly a different angle on the standard coming-of-age tale, but I’m just not great with rich kids. Example? I kept screaming at Holden Caulfield to ‘just go home.’

Thanks to Barnes & Noble for my advanced copy.. Available April 28, 2009.




© 2007-2009

3 comments:

caite said...

Hmmm...guess I won't feel too bad I didn't get this one.
Just watch, it will come in the mail today...lol

Meg89 said...

What's that saying, there's no accounting for taste? I had a similar experience reading David Lodge recently. I could tell it was a good book, but I just couldn't connect with the story.

Marie said...

Who can blame you? Sometimes a book just doesn't work out.

Swag:

Blog Archive