Monday

The Help by Kathryn Stockett - Book Review

Here’s what’s going to happen: I’m going to write my humble thoughts on The Help by Kathryn Stockett and the same folks who gushed about American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld will not understand me. It’ll be listed on bestseller lists, its author will be praised as an impressive debut author, the five star reviews will be bouncing all over the web and I’ll be thinking, “Eh?”

Let’s get this right out of the gate: The Help will be an excellent book club selection and a fantastic beach read. Despite its effectual setting and bulky in-severe-need-of-an-editor size, it moves at a swift and engaging pace.

The Help tells the alternating story of three women living in segregated Mississippi: Aibileen - a reserved 50ish lifelong maid, Minny – a 30ish maid with an impulsive tongue, and Skeeter – a young, white wannabe writer. Skeeter decides she’s going to write a story examining the experiences of the help, black maids that work for white women. You can guess the first two to sign on for the project.

Don’t get me wrong. The Help is a decent enough story. It has all the right moves, it just wasn’t my cup of tea (insert more terrible cliché writing here because I have nothing much to say about this title). It’s one of those books I’ll forget in a couple of months.

Lots of folks loved this book and had great things to say about it. Maybe you should go check them out!
Booking Mama
Five Minutes For Books
Bookroom Reviews
Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin'?
The Book Lady's Blog
Red Room Library
Jessica Knows
Pudgy Penguin Perusals
The Bluestocking Society


And a reviewer who says it much, much better than I can:
California Literary Review

Thank you to the Penguin Group & Shelf Awareness for my advanced copy
See the publisher's description, author interview & reading group guide: HERE
Read an excerpt: HERE

© 2007-2009

1 comments:

caite said...

Hmmm..I can see it in my overdue TBR pile from here. Decent enough is enough for me to give it a try. and then I often dislike books others liked.

I totally understand the Giant-book-in-need-of-an-editor-syndrome. You would think some authors were being paid by the page. More is not always better.

Swag:

Blog Archive