Thursday

Ophelia by Lisa Klein - Children's book review from Reading Rumpus

Ophelia is the motherless child of an absent father. To keep her occupied, he allows Ophelia the privilege of learning alongside her brother, something uncommon in the fourteenth century. When Ophelia turns eight, her father takes a position with the king, moving the family to the castle’s grounds. Life is very different from her small village routine, but Ophelia and her brother soon befriend the similar aged prince. As Ophelia grows into a strong-minded and beautiful young lady, the queen takes note of her many talents and makes her a favored attendant of the court. The prince also notices the beautiful Ophelia and they begin a love story in secret, as their match would not be deemed acceptable. With the help of the prince’s most trusted friend, they marry in secret.


And so begins the parallel tale of Ophelia, the girl Shakespeare gave us in brief and tragic form, reinvented........ Continue reading the review and find teaching resources on Reading Rumpus.

© 2007-2009

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

jenclair said...

I may have to check this one out as I enjoy seeing the way characters from one literary work are interpreted by another author. As Hamlet is a long time favorite, I may have more difficulty with changes, but that's OK, too.

Carl V. said...

I have mixed feelings about these kind of books, some I love and others (like the continuing stories of Pride and Prejudice) I abhor. There is no rhyme nor reason to the way I feel either. This one sounds interesting and I've always liked the tragic character Ophelia.

Dewey said...

Ooh, I love Ophelia (the character)! I'm going to add this to my wishlist immediately.

Tasses said...

Thanks for stopping by everyone :-)

Swag:

Blog Archive